ORG are building tools to monitor the effects of default filtering in the UK
We want to end the UK-wide censorship system of web blocking by holding ISPs and the Government accountable.
We know that default filters prevent people accessing important and legal information. Over-blocking is a serious and unavoidable effect of filtering. Yet ISPs give website owners and customers minimal information on why and what is being blocked, or how to report problems.
This is why ORG's Censorship Monitoring project is building tools to monitor and challenge filtering.
You can already report overblocking on our website, www.blocked.org.uk, but we want to do much more. This tool will check automatically whether the URLs you submit can be reached via all major UK fixed line ISPs and mobile networks. Future versions will let you explore the extent and history of filtering in the UK and will publish the raw data for you to reuse.
This work is only possible thanks to the generosity of the tech activism community. ORG volunteers are giving their time, Bytemark Hosting are donating the server and Andrews & Arnold are subscribing the project up to all the other ISPs.
Can you join them?
We've been offered up to £3000 in matched funding to support this project. Please help us keep the work going. We've only got enough funding to cover project management for 3 months. But with this matched funding gift you can make that 6 and double the impact of your donation!
For every £1 you give we'll get £2, whether that's through joining up for a regular Direct Debit or giving a one-off donation. If you join up to ORG, your donation for the first year will be doubled.
Donate with Paypal
What are the benefits to being an ORG supporter?
- You'll get discounts to all our ticketed events
- Give £5/month or more and you'll get a free ORG t-shirt!
- You'll get a copy of our latest reports and ORG stickers to show your support
- Vote (or stand!) in board elections
- You'll help influence our policy and direction throughout the year
- You'll join an engaged community of activists taking direct action to stand up for digital rights
Why join ORG?
ORG are a small organisation but we punch well above our weight. Besides defending digital rights in the courts, we've done considerable work on surveillance, privacy, copyright, open data and data protection.
- We're working with a huge coalition of campaigners and civil liberties groups to generate a mass joint campaign against state surveillance as revealed by Edward Snowden
- We're running a legal challenge at the European Court of Human Rights, arguing that the Government's authoritarian surveillance practices have been unlawful.
- We successfully campaigned against the Snoopers' Charter for 2 years and made sure it was dropped
- We produced our Digital Surveillance report offering reasonable alternatives to proposed investigatory powers
- We won Human Rights Campaigner of the Year at the 2012 Liberty awards
How do I join?
Joining by Direct Debit is the best way for us.
You can also set up a PayPal subscription, but we prefer Direct Debits: it’s cheaper for ORG to process and means more of your hard earned cash can make a difference.
If you want to help make this project real you can learn more about how to get involved here: http://www.blocked.org.uk/help